Saturday, November 26, 2022

Fathers, Family Work, and Budgeting

This week, I learned a bit about the importance of children having a father. I also learned about the benefits of family work. Finally, I learned about finances and the importance of managing your money. I already knew the importance of finance and budgeting, but I really enjoyed talking about it again. 

There has been a debate about whether or not fathers are important or desirable. The research strongly shows that they are important to their children in some specific ways. Fathers are great for teaching their sons how to behave, especially in the way of using their testosterone and related actions productively and acceptably. Data show that sons without fathers have a stronger tendency toward violence. For their daughters, fathers are important in reinforcing their self-worth. Daughters raised without a father are more likely to be promiscuous, and struggle with depression and self-harm. These outcomes alone show important roles that research shows only fathers can play. 

I also learned about the benefits of family work and how family work has changed throughout the course of human history. Before the Industrial Revolution, many people farmed and worked together to support the family. Family members worked alongside each other, allowing them to learn skills and to bond. When everyone does a repetitive task, there is room for conversation. Now, earning the family income tends to be outside of the home, with one parent gone. This means that the other parent typically has to do more around the house, and the kids don't often help as much to support the family. Having a parent gone most of the time also means that the children lose a role model. These deficits can be overcome, however. Parents can have their children still do chores together. Families can work on projects together or do service. This is different from when family members play together. Play is often competitive and takes focus on the game. Work is more often cooperative, with members working together and communicating. There are important life lessons and skills to be gained from family work. 

When it comes to money, I really like learning about financing and budgeting. My family struggled with money for years, and budgeting was an invaluable habit that helped my family through our tough times. My parents stopped keeping a budget once we were financially safe. Even though we have enough money now to meet our needs and some of our wants, I feel less secure now in my family about spending money than when I did when we were keeping a budget. I know we are probably fine, but it provides reassurance and comfort to know that we are safe buying what we are buying, and we would only know that because of a budget.

Finances affect most every aspect of family life, even if only indirectly. For me, I have yet to start my own family. I will soon get to decide how I will manage money in my life and create good habits that I will carry into my marriage and work on with my spouse. I think one of the first steps for anyone wanting to change their money habits is to change their attitude about money. Budgeting, spending within your limits, and saving for future expenses takes a great deal of self-control and self-restraint. It's difficult to not buy on impulse. You have to be very deliberate in marking every expense and in matching every dollar coming in and going out. I think it sounds exciting to take control of my money and see what I can do with it. It seems like an excitingly difficult task to learn and conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inherent Difficulties in Blended Families and Some Tips

This week, I learned about challenges that blended families typically encounter. The difficulties that I mention are not comprehensive. I al...