Friday, October 7, 2022

Culture in Families

This week, I learned about culture and how it relates to the family. When we think of culture, we may think of somewhere in a different country, with people that speak a different language and believe in different gods. It is true that other countries have different cultures, but each family has its own culture as well. The culture in our families impacts the culture of our community, and vice versa. I was challenged this week to view other cultures in a new light, as well as to reflect back on the culture of my family. Now, I would like to give a brief glimpse of some of the family culture that I grew up with, and the culture that I want to form in my future family. 

I was blessed to have both my mother and my father in my home. I was blessed to be raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I was blessed with two younger sisters. All of these things have greatly impacted me and my family culture. Growing up with both parents, my dad was able to work to provide for my family, and my mom was free to stay home to raise my sisters and me. Having my mother there to guide my learning as a child greatly blessed my development. Having sisters taught me how to play, share, and work with others, as well as providing me with my first friends. My parents raised me in the gospel, and to live up to its standards. This has impacted me in many ways.

Because of the teachings of the gospel, I am loving and kind. I am honest, hardworking, and dependable. I am a learning and a teacher. I know my purpose in life, and I have a plan. I know my worth as a child of God. I am working toward an eternal marriage and family. I have high standards for my friends and for myself. All of these values are taught by the Church, and I am glad to live by them. 

All of this set my sisters and me up for success. That doesn't mean we didn't have our struggles. My parents struggle with their marriage, which has affected all of us. My dad was gone a lot to provide for us when I was little, so it took some time for me to form a close bond with him. We didn't have much money when I was a child, which has made me fearful for asking for anything. I am afraid of loud noises and anger because of what happened in my household. All the good and bad that has happened in my family has guided what I want for my future family.

A good family culture starts with a good marriage. I am working on myself right now to be a good wife and mother. I will marry a good priesthood holder that will provide for and protect my family. We will raise our children in the gospel. I hope that my husband can go to work, and that I can stay home to raise the kids. I will teach them to love the gospel, Christ, and God, and I will teach them why it is important. I want to help them grow without putting them down. I don't ever want them to doubt that their parents love each other, and that their parents love them. 

I want to teach them the importance of education and working hard. I want to teach them all the good that my mother taught me. I want to teach them to love themselves and to take care of themselves. I want to raise them so that they have strength to be steadfast disciples of Jesus Christ in these latter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inherent Difficulties in Blended Families and Some Tips

This week, I learned about challenges that blended families typically encounter. The difficulties that I mention are not comprehensive. I al...